Thursday, February 23, 2006

Thursday Night 2-23-06

Adoption Blog - Huanggang Social Welfare Institute Near Wuhan

Today was a free day, only a quick 1:00 meeting to check some paper work. I let Ann handle it. If I did it our new daughter’s name could end up being Haras. I am posting some pictures of playtime in the hotel's play room and our return to the park. At the park we saw people taking dance lessons and playing games. Emily played with other kids who came to China with their parents to adopt another child.

Last night most of the guys got together to smoke cigars (Cuban). We congratulated each other and patted ourselves on the back, taking credit for all the work our wives did getting us through the adoption process. It was a lot of fun and they are a great bunch of guys.

We went to a real Chinese restaurant tonight. One of the moms (born in Taiwan...grew up in Kansas) speaks Mandarin rather well, so we knew we wouldn’t end up ordering Ox stomach and tongue by mistake. Don't laugh, it was on the menu. This was a very adventurous move for me. Any one who knows me knows I’m a roast, corn, mashed potatoes and apple sauce kind of guy. But I have tried American cuisine in China and it all pretty much taste like Ox stomach and tongue. Surprisingly, the food was delicious! I guess it only proves the old adage, “When in Rome do as the Romans do.”

I had an interesting event today when I went to The Bank of China to convert some U.S. currency to Chinese. We normally do it in the hotel but for some reason they won’t do it between 3:30 and 5:30. The hotel cashier told me to go to the bank which is literally right next to the hotel. I didn't bring my passport, as it is not needed when doing this in the hotel. However the guard in the bank, who spoke broken english, said I could use my driver’s license. I completed the paper work and was waiting for my turn when the guard came up to me and said in a very stern voice “I must see your ID.” I was a little taken back by his tone as he was very nice just minutes ago. So I opened my wallet to get my license and couldn’t find it. He said again “I must see your ID, show your license.” I gotta tell you my mouth went dry and I am sure the fear and confusion was all over my face. I just had my license but I couldn’t find it now. As I was digging in my wallet the guard said “your license.” I continued to look when he said again “your license” but this time he tapped me on the shoulder as he said it. I looked up and he was holding my driver’s license. When he saw the look on my face he cracked up laughing. I had left it on the counter and he picked it up and then proceeded to have a laugh at my expense. You could tell it made his day. Apparently the Chinese love practical jokes. Oh well, anything for world peace.

We begin our return home tomorrow!!!!

Do you think Minnesota is ready for this?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're ready! Looking forward to seeing you guys...Amanda is counting down the days!

Anonymous said...

Ann, Steve, Emily and Sarah,

Is Minnesota ready for "this" or is "this" ready for Minnesota?

I don't know about Minnesota's readiness, but I do know that the Mamer family is, indeed, ready for Little Sarah and for the rest of you to come back home to our family.

You have touched the hearts of so many people with your daily posts and your emails. There are people reading, enjoying and experiencing your adventures, joys and concerns daily. You will never know all the good that you are doing including your giving two beautiful girls a special loving home. Thanks for all your posts-- they bring your family closer to all of us.

Enjoy the short time that's left on your journey. We have missed you all, but we'll see you soon.
Prayers are with you for a safe return home.
Love,
Mom and Dad/Grandma and Grandpa

Anonymous said...

Hi Emily,
I am very ready to see you and meet Sarah. Can't wait to tease your dad, too. Good thing mom is there to figure everything out! I am loving your stories . . . tears came to my eyes when I read, "We are a family." God is blessing you in so many ways. I am thankful to have been able to share in your story. Thank you!
God Bless your journey home. Mrs. Sullivan